Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Flying With Liquids




I'm starting to pack for a trip, again. My biggest challenge, even sometimes more than how to dress for the weather where I'm going, is making sure I have refilled my traveling toiletries. I don't travel with any store-bought mini-toiletries.

How many store-bought or hotel-acquired toiletries do you travel with? My quart baggy has a standard size deodorant, contact solution, shampoo, mouth wash, toothpaste, a perfume stick, and Neosporin. Sometimes I throw my cosmetics in there, if I'm traveling on business.

I used to just take the shampoo bottle I either got in the mail or from the last hotel I was in and use it up, then start again. But then I got picky about my shampoo. So I started refilling the small bottle I had with my preferred shampoo.

When we didn't have to put our liquids into one quart bag with no larger than 3 oz containers in it, I used to just throw my daily toiletries in a cosmetic bag and then into my suitcase. But, I had to start rethinking all of my toiletries after the foiled UK terror plot with liquids changed our flying habits in 2006.

To avoid buying the travel sizes in toiletries I bought a 3 oz plastic bottle for my mouthwash. It's unfortunate that it's plastic, but that would be the case anyway; at least I can refill it with the mouthwash of my choice. My deodorant package is less than 3 ounces so I just bring it along and don't worry about having a small size.

I refill the sample size contact solution bottle my eye doctor gave me; that must make him cringe. I've already talked about how I refill a sample-size shampoo container. I'm testing a shampoo and body bar of soap to see how I like that, and will report back on that later. It may not be for everyone, but it might be a great solution for some people or situations.

My favorite traveling trick, when it comes to toiletries, is using contact lens cases to hold my toothpaste. I don't have to buy the little travel tubes, wasting more resources and money. I prefer the screw-on lid style of case because the "bowl" is bigger, so holds more toothpaste than the flip lid style -- and it's not likely to accidentally pop open.

I don't use lots of toothpaste when I brush so I find that the amount in one "bowl" lasts me for a week, brushing once a day. YMMV (your mileage may vary), but even if one entire lens case lasts you only a week they are small enough you can slip several in to your travel quart bag without pushing the limits. The cases wash nicely to be ready for another fill another time. One more plus of using contact lens cases, at least for contact lens wearers, is that we tend to accumulate lots of cases, so this is a great way to reduce waste and recycle plastic.

I feel I'm doing one more little thing to lighten my step on the planet by taking this approach to flying with liquids. That's what I do, get greener.

Kit Cassingham has been a greenie most of her life, even having a degree in Environmental Conservation. Her articles share lessons learned, both failures and successes. Food, cleaning, travel, energy and water conservation, waste reduction, home improvement projects, etc -- it's all part of green living, which you can follow at http://www.WeGetGreener.com


Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Kit_Cassingham
http://EzineArticles.com/?Flying-With-Liquids&id=6296255

Latin America tours

No comments:

Post a Comment